Friday, March 11, 2011
Pan Seared Sea Scallops with Panzanella(Italian Bread Salad)
Fresh scallops are my big favorite, I mean really, who doesn't like scallops? They cost quite a bit though and usually, I can't afford them.(Right here they cost about an atrocious 2bucks a piece!) Since I made some money this week, today's an exception! :):):)
There's something quite tasty about pairing scallops with vinaigrette. The acid goes hand in hand with the briny flavor and the slightly chewy/stringy texture of the scallop. Here, I made scallops with an Italian bread salad from a recipe I got from one of my favorite cookbook. I hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I enjoyed the dish. Have a fantabulous day ahead. :)
adapted from Philip Johnson's Classic Ecco
sea scallops, 3-5 per serve, depending on size
sea salt and black pepper
a knob of unsalted butter
juice of 1 lemon
1 quantity panzanella
red wine vinaigrette
6 medium vine-ripen tomatoes or 12 vine-ripen cherry tomatoes
2 roasted red capsicum, seeded and sliced
2 roasted yellow capsicum, seeded and sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 red chilli, seeded and finely diced
a handful basil leaves, torn
90g kalamanta olives
8 anchovy fillets, drained and cut into half lengthwise
1 tbsp salted capers, rinsed and drained
1/2 loaf of foccacia or ciabatta, large diced and lightly toasted
(I forgot chilli, basil and olives in picture but do add them in, they are essential.)
Red wine vinaigrette:
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
50ml red wine vinegar
150ml extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and black pepper
- Red Wine Vinaigrette: Put garlic, lemon juice and vinegar in a bowl. Whisk in extra virgin olive oil, then season to taste. Set aside in a squeeze bottle until needed.
- To make the Panzanella, first you'll need to roast the capsicums.
- Rub capsicums with olive oil and salt. Place them in a preheated oven at 250C or max temperature until their skins blister and become lightly charred. Place roasted capsicums in a bowl and cover with clingfilm and allow to cool. When skin has steamed away from flesh, peel them off together with seeds and membranes. Slice them. Store excess in the fridge, they will keep for couple of days. They go great with eggs and rocket.
- Slice tomatoes in quarters and put them in a bowl together with all the Panzanella ingredients. Add enough red wine vinaigrette to moisten bread. Toss and set aside.
- To complete the dish, heat a little olive oil in a non-stick pan over high heat. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Sear scallops in the hot pan for 20-30secs a side. Remove pan from heat, add butter and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve with Panzanella and drizzle with a little red wine vinaigrette.