Sunday, March 20, 2011
Grilled Cheese Sandwich in Spicy Tomato Soup
It's no secret. I'm a top chef fan. After watching Dale Talde's winning dish for the Target challenge, I knew I had to try the recipe. Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Spicy Tomato Soup. Comfort food to the extremes! The only thing I'm missing is the Ribeye, which I couldn't afford.
Living here in Singapore, there is no winter. However, there are cold rainy days. They are days where people like to stay home and sleep. I, on the other hand, will grab the opportunity to cook something, like winter food. It makes me feel more pretentious that way.
Eaten on a cold rainy day, this dish can bring wonders to your mood and bed activity. It generates warmth, inside out. When digested and excreted on soil, little dainty flowers sprout and wild animals congregate to celebrate in joy. In other words, this is quite a nice winter dish to make. If you're going to try this, I'll suggest you add a protein, like roast beef or grilled ribeye(Haha).
adapted from BravoTV's Top Chef recipes
8 slices of sandwich bread
150g cheese, of choice (I used laughing cow cheese)
4 tbsp butter, separated into 4 equal portions
grilled ribeye, sliced thinly(optional)
Spicy Tomato Soup:
1 can of plum tomatoes
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 rashers of bacon, chopped
1 tbsp chipotle tobasco sauce
2 tbsp single cream
- Heat a pot to medium-low and saute garlic, onion, bacon in olive oil until onions turn translucent. Add tomatoes and simmer for 15-20 mins.
- Turn off heat and blitz tomato soup mixture with a stick blender until mixture reaches a soupy consistency.
- Add cream, tobasco and salt, seasoning to taste. Stir well and set aside. Cover to keep warm.
- To make the grilled cheese sandwiches, spread cheese evenly on bread slices and add slices of ribeye if using. Add black pepper and sandwich bread slices together. 2 slices per sandwich.
- On a pan on medium heat, melt butter and toast sandwich, about 2 mins a side until nice and golden brown.
- Slice each toasted sandwich into 2. Ladle a little warm soup in a bowl and top with grilled cheese sandwich. Serve immediately.