Sunday, January 30, 2011
The 5 C - Chocolate Chocolate Chip Chewy Cookies
Oh my god, this is so good. It smells like good cookie, it's chocolaty, it's chewy in the middle and it contains a lot of carbs. There goes my no-carbs-at-night diet regime, it's time to get fat now, HELLO LUNAR NEW YEAR.
Making this at night, I caused my neighbors to pop their heads out of their windows, chasing the aroma that is from my oven. I thought I should feel bad because I didn't offer them any, but then it was all okay when I took my first bite.
To make chewy cookies, use the recipe below and monitor the cookies when they are about to be ready. Make sure they don't burn and make sure they aren't undercooked. I rolled my cookie dough into 1 inch balls and they took me 17 mins in the oven while the original recipe states 10-12 mins, I trusted my gut to continue baking. It turned out swell.
Trust your gut!
adapted from Walt's recipe at allrecipes.com
makes 3 dozen cookies
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
6 tablespoons butter, softened
4/5 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup icing sugar
-Preheat oven 175 C.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Melt 1 cup of chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl over simmering water. Cream butter and sugar. Add melted chocolate chips and vanilla extract; beat in eggs; add flour mixture and remaining chocolate chips.
- Wrap in cling film and freeze until firm (about 20 minutes).
- Make small balls (1 inch); roll in icing sugar.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 10-17 minutes, depending on size and water content. Check regularly to ensure that they don't get burnt or undercooked.